Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Looking ahead, while looking back

I will be done with my training schedule in the next 2 weeks. I want to keep running. I think one of the things I really love about running is the progress I make. I ran for 16 minutes twice. I ran a mile and more TWICE in less than an hour. My mile times (I timed the first mile of the 16 minutes) were less than 13 minutes!! My mile last week was 13:30.

To look back and remember how I was dreading 6 minutes just a few weeks ago, makes me wonder what I can actual do next.
  • My initial running goal was to be able to run 2 miles straight. Then I felt like that would be too easy. (I still haven't done it, but within 2 weeks that goal should be accomplished)
  • Then I decided I wanted to do a 5k in less than 40 minutes. Well I am not there yet, but I frequently interval a 5k in about 42 minutes.

I am planning on doing a 5k on September 18th. (A nearby one raising money for autism research/services) That is well over a month away. So I want to make a new goal. I want to do it in less than 35 minutes. Maybe that goal isn't tough enough. But it seems huge to me. That would be a sub 12 min/mile pace.

So now I need to come up with a training plan to get faster. ???? I have between now and August 23rd to figure it out. I know I will do better if I have a plan written down. It is easier to drag myself out of bed at 6am or earlier when I have an "assignment"

2 comments:

  1. GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENTS!!! You've done a FANTASTIC JOB. One word of caution on time goals for races---take a close look at the course. If you are near enough, try to run it at least once so you'll know what to expect. If you aren't, look at the course elevation either on the race website, or look at MapMyRun.com to get that information. I think I'll write up a whole post on this topic this week so watch for it because there is A LOT to say about this subject and I don't want to leave a novel-length comment again!!

    You're doing such great work. I wish we lived closer so I could come run with you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. I actually drive past the course at least once a week. PTL it is actually probably flatter than where I run at home. (This whole area is pretty flat in general) Still running it is a good idea. If the weather ever cools down I will give it a try after work one day.

    ReplyDelete